MOFLETAS or Moroccan pancakes
Makes 15 to 20
- 500g of plain flour
- 1tsp of salt
- 2 tbsp of caster sugar
- 1.5 cups of water
- 1 tsp of dried yeast
- 1/8 of sunflower oil
- Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl. Knead the dough until it becomes light and elastic. This process last 10 minutes approximately.
- Put it in a freezer bag (not in the freezer) and let it rise for 30 minutes in a warm environment.
- Divide the dough into 15 to 20 small balls.
- Oil hands and on oiled surface, roll dough into thin circles. You can use a rolling pin.
- Spread small amount of oil in frying pan and cook mufleta over medium heat.
- Cook both sides.
- Pan does not need to be re-greased before cooking the rest of the mufletas.
Serve warm with butter and honey.
COUSCOUS WITH SUGAR, BUTTER, RAISINS, AND DRIED APRICOTS
For 8 people
For the Couscous grains
- 500g of fine or medium couscous
- Sunflower oil
- 50g of melted butter
- 100g of sugar
- 250g of raisins
- 125g of dried apricots
You will need to steam cook the couscous, so you need a saucepan with a lid, with a sieve large enough to contain 1kg of couscous, or even better use a couscous maker if you have one.
- Boil some water in a large sauce pan.
- In a bowl, wash the couscous. Let it drain on a sieve. Put in back in the bowl and add the sugar, and some sunflower oil (the equivalent of 3/4 soup spoons.
- Mix everything by hand. Put the couscous on the sieve and cover it with the lid. Add the raisins and the dried apricots, stir well, and steam the couscous with the lid on the sieve for approximately 30 minutes. Stir regularly.
Tunisan Fris casses (Tunisian fried sandwiches)
For 8 people (approximately 30 fris cases)
- 500 g of strong flour bread
- 2 sachets of dried yeast
- 4 eggs (1 for the dough and 3 that you hardboil)
- a large tin of tuna in sunflower oil
- 7 tomatoes
- 1 tbsp of harissa
- 100g of black olives
- 50g of capers
- 1 lemon
- Salt, pepper,
- Oil to deep fry
- +/- 300ml of warm water
Put the flour in a large bowl. Add one egg, the dried yeast that you have mixed with 30ml of warm water, some salt, and 3 tbsp of sunflower oil. Adding a bit of warm water at a time, mix to obtain a soft dough. Knead the dough for 5/10 minutes until it becomes elastic. Then, separate the dough into (approximately) 30 small balls and form some little oval breads. Put them on a floured workshop and let them rise for an hour.
In the meantime:
Hardboil 3 eggs for 15 minutes, cool them down and cut them into pieces.
Put in different plates, the tuna, the tomato, the olives cut into pieces, the tuna, Mettre dans un grand saladier : les tomates et les oeufs coupé en cubes, les olives dénoyautées, le thon, the juice of the lemon andits zest, the capers. Put in the fridge before serving.
Deep fry your little breads and turn them to make sure they are golden on both sides. Put them of a plate on some kitchen paper to absorb the oil.
Put them on the table opened. Prepare the sandwiches adding a bit of all the ingredients prepared before.
LEMON DRIZZLE BOUSCOUTOU (Tunisian sponge cake with a lemon icing)
- 6 large eggs
- 6 tablespoons of sugar
- 6 level tablespoons of self raising flour
- A sprinkle of vanilla sugar (7g approximately)
- Sunflower oil (same volume as the egg yolks)
- Separate the egg whites from the yolks
Using an electric whisk, whisk the whites until they become very firm. Then still using the whisk, add one ingredient after the other, the sugar, the vanilla sugar, the egg yolks, and the oil, one ingredient by one.
Add the 6 levelled table spoons of self raising flour and mix with a wooden spoon or your hand (to avoid any lumps). Cook in a 25cm baking tray at 150 degrees in a fan oven, maximum 45 minutes until the cake become golden brown, but not too brown. Put a knife in the middle of the cake to check if it is cooked. You can also cook the cakes as muffins.
Prepare the lemon icing
- 300g of icing sugar
- The juice of 2 lemons, plus the zest to keep to sprinkle on the cake
Put the icing on the cake and sprinkle with the lemon zest.
Mediterranean quinoa salad
For 6/8 people
- 3 courgettes cut in small cubes
- 5 red onions sliced
- 150g of quinoa
- 150g of green lentils
- 150g of bulgur
- Sunflower oil
- Balsamic vinegar
- Salt, pepper
- 8/10 cherry tomaoes
- Roast the courgette in the oven for 25 minutes.
- Roast the tomatoes on a separate tray.
- Put the onions in a frying pan with 3tbsp of sunflower oil. When they become brown add 5/6 tbsp of sugar to caramelise them. Add 3 tbsp of balsamic vinegar.
- Boil some water and cook together for 15 minutes the lentils, quinoa, and bulgur. Drain the water. Mix all the ingredients together to make your salad. Add salt and pepper. Add the tomatoes.