- 320g ready rolled puff pastry sheet.
- 25ml milk
- 3 egg yolks
- 75g caster sugar
- 25g flour
- 1 vanilla pod (or half one of a large pod)
- 400g of apricots halved and stones removed
- 250g of cherries halved and stones removed
- 2 tbsp of apricot jam (optional)
- Lay the puff pastry on some baking paper. Prick the base with a fork and cook until golden brown at 180C for 20-30 minutes approximately. Leave to cool.
- Then prepare the crème patissiere: split the vanilla pod in half lengthways. Put in a pan with the milk and bring to the boil.
- Beat the sugar and egg yolks in a large bowl, until the mixture is white and fluffy. Stir in the flour.
- Pour over the hot milk and stir. Pour everything back in the pan and cook over a medium heat, whisking all the time making sure the custard doesn’t catch at the edges and the bottom of the pan.
- When the custard is thick and just before it boils, remove from the hob and return to the bowl to cool.
- To assemble the tart: spread a thin layer of the custard over the puff pastry. Decorate with the fruit.
If you want to glaze the tart, warm the apricot jam and lightly brush it over the fruit.